Open Burning

Open Burning Information

Recreation fires are allowed in fire pits during green burn days. You are responsible to contact the DEQ to determine the air quality. Only wood is allowed to be burned in a fire pit. No garbage of any kind is allowed. If you burn garbage, you will be cited.

Open burning is only allowed in ditch banks and along fence lines if you live on anything over

1 acre

. Open ditch and fence burning is NOT allowed between June 1-October 1.

NOTE:2020 Fire season has started early. NO OPEN BURNING BEGINNING MAY 15, 2020.

Smaller lot sizes are not allowed to burn. Please refer to the Open Burning Ordinance below. 

Please follow these steps for ditch and fence line burning.

1. You must check on the air quality by calling 801-536-0072 or looking up the DEQ website to determine

one hour

before burning if it is a green burn day.

2. Contact VECC 801-840-4000 to inform them of your burn. You must tell them if will be a ditch bank or fence line, the duration of the burn and your contact number.

3. There can not be any wind. If the fire spreads because of wind, you are liable. If the wind kicks up or the burn index changes the Fire Department may request the fire to be extinguished.

4. Make sure you have a water source close by.