During the year, additional financial issues may arise which the City Council has to address. The City will usually amend its budget once in the middle of the year to address those issues. Finally, toward the end of the fiscal year, the City will amend its budget one more time to address the financial issues that have changed since the mid-year budget amendment.
On June 2, 2022, the tentative 2022-2023 City budget was passed. The City Council has worked with the accounting department for months going through every expense evaluating the city needs. The City Council has discussed and poured over the budget and does not take this lightly.
We want to explain the budgetary challenges we are facing as a city. Unfortunately, the annual inflation rate is at a 41-year high, and just as inflation and cost of living increases have impacted all our personal budgets, the increases in costs have also impacted our city budget.
Only a small amount of your property taxes come to the City of Bluffdale. Bluffdale receives approximately 13.59% of the total property tax bill. The largest part of your property taxes goes to our schools and to Salt Lake County.
How is the 13.59% of property tax allocated in Bluffdale? Property tax collected by Bluffdale pays for public safety which is our fire and police departments. Unfortunately, last year the amount collected only covered 44% of the total public safety costs. The other 56% of our public safety had to be funded by sales tax and other smaller revenue sources.
This year, City costs are increasing significantly just to maintain current levels of service. Major costs such as fuel prices and public safety personnel costs are much higher than last year. If we do not use the certified tax rate from last year, our property taxes will only cover 33% of our public safety costs.
Because of the increase in home values, the certified tax would normally decrease in 2022 (the rate drops as home values rise). We are proposing to leave the certified tax rate that was used in 2021, to maintain our current level of service and to have the ability to hire a traffic officer. By keeping the rate used last year, this would translate to an increase of $11.34/month (for the average homeowner in Bluffdale) for your city portion of property tax.
- Property taxes do not increase with inflation or the housing market. You will pay the same amount this year unless the city uses a different certified tax rate than the one calculated by the county.
- Bluffdale only received about 13.59% of your total property taxes paid last year - any increase the city proposes only affects that 13.59% portion. Most of your property taxes paid go to our schools and the county.
- Road projects and infrastructure are covered by other funds (see the budget explained graphic).
- Bluffdale was incorporated in 1978. There was not a single property tax increase until 2002, not even to offset inflation.
- As you can see on the graph, residents of other cities pay more property taxes for public safety services than we do.
If you have other questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
You can attend the Truth in Taxation meeting on August 16th at 7 pm at City Hall.
- FY2023 Adopted City Budget w/Mid-Year Adjustment (PDF)
- FY2023 Tentative Operating Budget (PDF)
- FY2022 Adopted City Budget (PDF)
- FY2021 Adopted City Budget (PDF)
- FY2020 Adopted City Budget (PDF) - Final as adopted Wednesday, August 14, 2019
- FY2019 Adopted City Budget (PDF)
- FY2018 Adopted City Budget (PDF) - Final as adopted Wednesday, August 16, 2017