Projects In Bluffdale
2017 Waterline Improvements Project
The project is part of the City’s ongoing plan to increase the level of service in areas identified within the Drinking Water Master Plan. This phase of improvements targets areas within the City that have undersized and older waterlines. The improvements include increasing the size of the waterlines, adding additional Fire Hydrants and installing new water service connections. The improvements will improve fire protection, increase water capacity and improve the level of service in the areas surrounding the improvements.
Construction will be taking place in four main areas within the City
- Pheasant Hollow Lane including the connection to 3200 West
- Country Classic Drive including the connection to 14400 South and 2700 West
- East end of 14600 east of 3200 West and the North end of Ten Sleep Circle
- Redwood Road from Porter Rockwell Blvd north to River View Drive
- All projects will include trenching and installation of waterlines, fire hydrants and services. Construction within City roadways will require asphalt removal and replacement as well as some curb and gutter.
- Construction along Redwood Road will be in the east shoulder and have minimal impact to the public and no traffic diversions or lane closures
- Construction in Pheasant Hollow Lane and Country Classic Drive will require partial road closures but public access will remain for residents throughout construction.
- Construction at the east end of 14600 South will have minimal impact to the general public. The City and contractor will be working closely with residents at the end of 14600 South to maintain access.
- Construction at the North end of Ten Sleep Circle will have minimal impact on the general public and no road closures are expected.
Transportation and Street Projects
- Cross Walks. The City of Bluffdale is currently studying a few areas where crosswalks may be needed.
- Road Widening and Rehabilitation Project OPEN HOUSE (14400 S and 2200 W)
14400 S is being widened, along with constructing a traffic circle at 2200 W. This will improve the flow of traffic and create sidewalk facilities to provide a safe walking environment for students. 2200 W is being rehabilitated, meaning structurally repaired with the surface reconditioned and drainage improved so the road will be smoother and safer.
Where the construction will be.
14400 S from Redwood Road to 2200 West
2200 West from 13800 S to 15000 S
Timeline for the construction.
Bid awarded in January
Construction to start February. Construction will done in stages with an estimated one year completion.
The street will be dug up and then reconstructed with new road base and surface placed.
Storm drains will be constructed/reconstructed to accommodate drainage requirements.
Utility work will involve moving power poles, installing new water lines and water services.
There will be an Open House on Thursday, January 4, 2018 6-8 PM at City Hall to discuss park strip landscaping options: rock, mulch, or grass (only supplied with owner provided irrigation)
There will be some disruption during construction including: traffic detours and/or delays, broken pavement and temporary water shut-offs. Construction may necessitate some resident owned fencing removal which will be considered for replacement in kind.
- Porter Rockwell Blvd. (PRB) Project There are 5 planned segments. Segments 1, 2 and 3 are completed. The ribbon cutting for segment 3 was on Wednesday, July 26th. See maps for project details. Segment 5 is in the planning stages next.
- Pony Express into Bluffdale Heights road work October 17-20.
Storm Drain Projects
The construction for Vintage Park (located at approximately 14100 Loumis Parkway) will begin in August. This 5 ½ acre park will have a pavilion, picnic shelters, gazebo, splash pad, playground, a volleyball court, tennis and pickle ball courts. The construction is scheduled to take about 7 months.
The construction for Independence Park (located North of Summit Academy Elementary 15245 S. Noell Nelson) will begin fall 2017.
- Jordan School District has purchased property and is planning schools on the east side of the City to accommodate future growth. click here for Jordan District updates
- Fire Station in Independence (no.92) the City of Bluffdale had the ground breaking on Friday, September 22, 2017. The fire station will be completed late summer 2018. Click here to see the site and the ground breaking.
- Porter Rockwell Monument is currently located off 14600 and Pony Express-across from the park and ride station. A committee has been organized to discuss moving the monument to a location that will be more visible and accessible. Click here for a complete history of memorial
14600 South Construction Trestle Area
Sunday, June 11, 2017 a contractor (Beck Construction) working for UDOT rebuilt a portion of 14600 South. This was next to the rail road bridge (trestle) where faults/deep creeps had developed in the asphalt along a portion of the road next to the steep embankment that is over 4 homes in Springview Farms.
The contractor excavated at least 5 feet of road uncovering a bit of history as defined by the layers of pavement that were uncovered. The excavation was not as deep as the flowline of the Salt Lake City Canal that is on the east side on the road. The contractor uncovered several layers of pavement including a concrete slab, base course and an old asphalt concrete surface that was disintegrating at the bottom of the five foot excavation. The asphalt concrete could have been placed in the late 1800s or early 1900s.
The material excavated had some moisture but not sufficient to cause concern. The contractor repaired the road by placing a layer of cobble rocks of various depth (2ft-5ft) of 4-inch minus rocks covered by geotextile fabric covered by 8-inch of untreated base and eventual new 6-inch of asphalt pavement.
The patch extended for 40 feet from about the center of the road to the edge. This is a temporary fix to provide better protection. UDOT and the City plan on meeting to discuss the possible options for better studying the area and provide a permanent solution.