Projects In Bluffdale
Transportation and Street Projects
- Road Widening and Rehabilitation Project (14400 S and 2200 W)
14400 S is being widened, along with constructing a traffic circle at 2200 W.
Please click Road Widening Rehabilitation (14400 S. 2200 W) Webpage for all the details.
14600 S. Redwood Road Connection
The City studied 8 possible alternatives using a sophisticated computer program that simulates traffic with normal driver behaviors.
The study examined the traffic delays for each of the 8 alternatives for current traffic volumes and for projected traffic volumes in the year 2040.
The congestion is given a value of A to F, F being the worse according to wait time.
Alternative 5 provided better safety and less congestion than any other of the studied options.
The City selected the alternative to connect 14600 South directly to Redwood Road and place a high tee intersection at Redwood Road. to reduce congestion and improve the safety at 14400 South and Redwood Road and 14600 South.
The City has received a preliminary approval from UDOT to place a new high-tee intersection on Redwood Road for 14600 South.
Road Plans are being prepared by the developer to complete construction.
The City thinks that this project will be completed by next year or sooner.
- Independence School Crossing on Noell Nelson Drive has been marked for placement of signs and ramp.
- 2700 W. North Star Academy School Crossing is in the planning stages
Porter Rockwell Blvd. (PRB) Project
There are 5 planned segments. Segments 1, 2 and 3 are completed. The ribbon cutting for segment 3 was on Wednesday, July 26th. See maps for project details. Segment 5 is in the planning stages next. Currently, the projected completion date is in 2021.
- Completed the site survey
- Geotechnical engineer work on site exploration
- Working on the horizontal and vertical alignment
. Segment 5
- Completed the pre-construction meeting last week
- The contractor will be ready to mobilize later in the summer and work on both Redwood Road and PRB
- The City is finishing the detention pond design
- Segment 5 will begin mid July
- 14600 South Construction Trestle Area
The contractor excavated at least 5 feet of road uncovering a bit of history as defined by the layers of pavement that were uncovered. The excavation was not as deep as the flowline of the Salt Lake City Canal that is on the east side on the road. The contractor uncovered several layers of pavement including a concrete slab, base course and an old asphalt concrete surface that was disintegrating at the bottom of the five foot excavation. The asphalt concrete could have been placed in the late 1800s or early 1900s.
The material excavated had some moisture but not sufficient to cause concern. The contractor repaired the road by placing a layer of cobble rocks of various depth (2ft-5ft) of 4-inch minus rocks covered by geotextile fabric covered by 8-inch of untreated base and eventual new 6-inch of asphalt pavement.
The patch extended for 40 feet from about the center of the road to the edge. This is a temporary fix to provide better protection. UDOT and the City plan on meeting to discuss the possible options for better studying the area and provide a permanent solution.
On 2/14/18 engineers went to measure slope movements in the inclinometer and record water levels in the adjacent piezometers. The inclinometer data that we collected was pretty similar (within about 0.1 inches) to the initial readings taken on October 12, 2017. Thus, we are not detecting significant slope movement that has occurred since October 12, 2017. Visually, there is a little bit of pavement distress/cracking (<~0.5" wide) where the road was repaired. Perhaps this is due to settlement within the fill placed as part of the repair and/or minor slope movements that are too small for our instrument to pick up.
Water levels were also roughly the same as the last time they were measured (11/15/2017). The shallow inclinometer (19 ft) had just a tiny bit of water in the bottom that was probably the result of water settling in the endcap. The deep inclinometer (~60 ft) had water at 33 ft deep, which correlates roughly to the elevation of the bottom of the steep slope.
In summary, our instrumentation hasn't picked up anything significant since we installed it. As I've been saying all along, it will be interesting to see if water levels change significantly in the shallow piezo when they start filling the canal, and if these changes result in some detectable slope movement.
Storm Drain Projects
2017 Waterline Improvements Project
This project was part of the City’s ongoing plan to increase the level of service in areas identified within the Drinking Water Master Plan. This phase of improvements targets areas within the City that have undersized and older waterlines. The improvements include increasing the size of the waterlines, adding additional Fire Hydrants and installing new water service connections. The improvements will improve fire protection, increase water capacity and improve the level of service in the areas surrounding the improvements.
Construction was in the following areas:
- Pheasant Hollow Lane including the connection to 3200 West
- Country Classic Drive including the connection to 14400 South and 2700 West
- East end of 14600 east of 3200 West and the North end of Ten Sleep Circle
- Redwood Road from Porter Rockwell Blvd north to River View Drive
Independence Well House (project completion June 31, 2018)
- Underground pipe is in
- Concrete for building is being prepped and formed
- Electrical cabinets’ delivery not until August.
- 10% of project completed
The construction for Vintage Park (located at approximately 14100 Loumis Parkway) is finished. This 5 ½ acre park has a pavilion, picnic shelters, gazebo, splash pad, playground, a volleyball court, tennis and pickle ball courts.
The construction for Independence Park (located North of Summit Academy Elementary 15245 S. Noell Nelson) will begin summer 2018.
- Jordan School District has purchased property and is planning schools on the east side of the City to accommodate future growth. click here for Jordan District updates
- Fire Station in Independence (no.92) the City of Bluffdale had the ground breaking on Friday, September 22, 2017. The fire station will be completed late summer 2018. Click here to see the site and the ground breaking.
- Porter Rockwell Monument is currently located off 14600 and Pony Express-across from the park and ride station. A committee has been organized to discuss moving the monument to a location that will be more visible and accessible. Click here for a complete history of memorial